Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: add a planning document for the next CLI revamp

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:25:07 +0100

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 10:27:57PM +0000, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> +  * 'git push --matching' does what 'git push' does today (without
> >> +    explicit configuration)
> >
> > I think this is reasonable even without other changes, just to override
> > any configuration.
> 
> I don't.  Can't you say "git push $there HEAD" these days?  I vaguely
> recall that there is a way to configure push that way for people too lazy
> to type "origin HEAD" after "git push".

Yes, but it's broken in the sense that if you're in a non matching
branch it creates it remotely. The way to configure it is to say
remote.push = HEAD in your .gitconfig or sth similar. I removed it
because I've created 2 times a new branch remotely that I didn't want to
because I was tired and forgot to checkout and merge into the proper
one.

I rarely do mistakes with git, but something like more than half of my
mistakes are with push. I've argued that in the past, I know most of the
other core git developers disagree with the fact that git-push UI is not
helping users to not shoot themselves in the foot, I disagree, but there
is not much I can do if I'm 1:10 to think that ;)
-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org