Subject: Re: libgit2 - a true git library

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:20:18 -0800

David Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 06:07:04PM -0700, Scott Chacon wrote:
>
>> Think about trying to incorporate this into something proprietary,
>> Shawn - how much of a pain is it going to be to get that license
>> reviewed in Google?  However, LGPL I'm sure there is already a
>> reviewed policy.  Now, since that may be a pain, time that Shawn could
>> have been spending being paid to work on the library is lost because
>> they can't use it, or it takes weeks/months to review it.  That's my
>> concern.
>
> The gcc exception license should have been reviewed by anyone who has
> ever build anything proprietary out of gcc.

Indeed.  And gcc is a *very* popular compiler on Linux distributions.
A lot of commerical software is built under it, and distributed in
binary-only form.  Those companies have already done the legal review
they felt necessary before shipping (and selling) that software.

-- 
Shawn.