Subject: Re: How it was at GitTogether'08 ?

From: Kai Blin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:08:51 +0100

On Monday 10 November 2008 10:58:05 Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi Dscho,

> > Tim was talking about that media/ folder and managing that in git. If
> > you want to work on the media, you might end up getting hundreds of
> > gigabytes of data to get that folder, even if you only need to change
> > one single file.
> >
> > That's the issue we're running into, and I don't thing submodules solve
> > this at all.
>
> You'd have to have a single repository for each and every media file, and
> you'd need to use shallow clones and shallow fetches.
>
> However, a push-conflict will probably be beyond any non-programmer
> skillz.

Ok, I agree. But you could work around that by teaching the artists to 
fetch/rebase/push instead of just pushing, or hiding this in the GUI. If 
there's a conflict on a binary data file you're screwed anyway. :)

> I'd rather propose to have a different interface, like through a web
> server, where the user can say "I have some cool new graphics, in this
> .zip file" together with a commit message.
>
> Kind of a git-gui via browser.

Incidentally I'm currently working on something like this, just aimed at 
the "artist side", instead of the VCS side. This certainly is a useable 
solution for artists. But at some point a developer will want to check out 
the repository to cut a release tarball, and we're back to wanting shallow 
and narrow clones. :)

Cheers,
Kai

-- 
Kai Blin
WorldForge developer  http://www.worldforge.org/
Wine developer        http://wiki.winehq.org/KaiBlin
Samba team member     http://www.samba.org/samba/team/
--
Will code for cotton.