Subject: Re: JGIT: discuss: diff/patch implementation

From: Francis Galiegue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:21:17 +0100

Le Monday 10 November 2008 20:46:02 Johannes Schindelin, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Francis Galiegue wrote:
> > A very nice git feature, without even going as far as merges, is the
> > cherry pick feature.
> >
> > For this to be doable from within the Eclipse Git plugin, a diff/patch
> > implementation needs to be found, in a license compatible with the
> > current JGit license (3-clause BSD, as far as I can tell). Or a new
> > implementation can be rewritten from scratch, of course.
>
> Do not forget creating efficient packs.  They also need an efficient diff
> engine.
>

I wasn't even thinking about this, honestly :p

Let's say that as far as IDE users are concerned, they do have disk space, and 
having the ability to cherry-pick is more of a priority than packs ;) Even a 
less efficient but "to the point" engine will be good enough for the time 
being, or at least, this is what I think.

I understand way too little about the algorithm myself to tell whether it's 
also efficient for such a purpose. Maybe it is...

-- 
fge