Subject: Re: hosting git on a nfs

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:36:52 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:29:34AM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:

>finally I managed to convince a critical mass of developers (our chief
>dev :-) in our company so that we are starting to migrate to GIT.
>
>The final question is, whether GIT will life peacefully on our cluster
>fileservers. The GIT repository dir (/var/cache/git) should be mounted
>via NFS via PAN on top of DRBD (so I was told).
>
>Are there any known problems with this setup? We're asking, because
>there are problems with SVN on such a setup[1].

We had occasionally run into locking problems with 1.5.4.x with
renames between different directories.  This should be fixed in
1.6.0.3, but we have since migrated to a server model so I don't have
any way of testing this.

None of these problems ever caused repository corruption, only errors
during fetch/clone that were resolved by repeating the operation.

Using ssh: or git: does seem to be a bit faster than NFS.  The
configuration we did find completely unworkable was using git with the
work tree on NFS.

David