Subject: Re: [MonoDevelop] git integration with monodevelop

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:55:47 +0100

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

Please, try to not lose the attribution

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
 
> > May I suggest respectfully, that the next time communication channels 
> > between the Mono-mentor and at least one knowledgable Git guy are 
> > established early in the project?  IIRC there was a GSoC project to 
> > reimplement Git in C# last year, too, which failed, too.
> 
> The first year effort failed because the student never started, he got a
> job before the official SoC start.
> 
> This year one of the students vanished before the SoC started, the other
> one did some minimal work, probably because the work was above his
> comfort zone.

I think that it might also be that 'Git# implementation' is just too
big a project for single Google Summer of Code, even for two students.
JGit/EGit is developed for much longer than a single summer, with
larger number of developers than one or two students, and it is not
yet complete Git implementation.  The JGit GSoC 2008 project was simply
"Eclipse plugin push support", and that size of project worked
wonderfully (see http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2008Projects page).

So for the future I think it would be better to a) define smaller sized
projects with definite (and reachable) goals; b) maintain better contact
with Git Development Community (git mailing list, #git IRC channel).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland