Subject: Re: git to libgit2 code relicensing

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 21:00:39 -0800

David Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 03:46:58PM -0800, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
>> In addition to the permissions in the GNU General Public License,
>> the authors give you unlimited permission to link the compiled
>> version of this file into combinations with other programs,
>> and to distribute those combinations without any restriction
>> coming from the use of this file.  (The General Public License
>> restrictions do apply in other respects; for example, they cover
>> modification of the file, and distribution when not linked into
>> a combined executable.)
>
> Is this license intended to allow static linking but forbid dynamic
> linking into a non-GPL program?  It depends on how you interpret
> "linked into a combined executable", but that sounds like it
> intentionally excludes the dynamic case.

I don't know.  When I read it myself I assumed dynamic linking
would also be OK.  This is why I prefer programs; I don't read
legalese so I can't quite figure out what the statement means.
At least with C its a little less vague.  ;-)

-- 
Shawn.