Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Add -y/--no-prompt option to mergetool

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:50:48 -0500

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:41:14PM +0000, Charles Bailey wrote:
> This option lets git mergetool invoke the conflict resolution program
> without waiting for a user prompt each time.
> 
> Also added a mergetool.prompt (default true) configuration variable
> controlling the same behaviour

My apologies for not commeting earlier on your patches; I've been a
bit overloaded as of late --- way too much conference travel!  :-(

I can see why this should perhaps be the default for gui-based merge
program.  The one place where it should perhaps not be the default is if
the tool could be text based (i.e., if you are using text-based emacs
to do the emerge).   So perhaps what we should do is 

1) Make the question of whether or not a particular back-end merge
program should require the user to hit return first to be configured
on a per-gui tool basis.

2) For all of the gui tools default the answer to be to _not_ prompt
first.

3) For the emacs-based merge, make the default be based on whether or
not $DISPLAY is set.  (But allow an overide based on
mergetool.emerge.prompt.)

I think this much more accurately would model what users want, and if
we get the default right for most users, that's definitely a win.

Regards,

							- Ted