Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/4] Teach git fetch to verify signed tags automatically

From: Deskin Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:18:25 -0500

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:41:27AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Deskin Miller wrote:
> 
> > -What to do if a tag is found to have a bad signature?
> 
> Or even worse: if the public key was not found?  In dubio pro reo, they 
> say, but OTOH you asked to verify the signatures...

I don't see how not finding the public key is `worse' than a bad
signature.  Compared to what the user learns currently when they run git
fetch and receive new signed tags, the case of not having the required
public key leaves them in exactly the same state: the user does not know
whether the signature is valid or not.

The user didn't ask to verify, as I see it; rather, they asked git to
*try* to verify.  If that fails in a way they don't expect, they're free
to investigate further with git tag -v for situations like not having
the right public key.

Deskin Miller