Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 4/4] Make git fetch verify signed tags

From: Deskin Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:19:01 -0500

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:44:40AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Deskin Miller wrote:
> 
> > When git fetch downloads signed tag objects, make it verify them right 
> > then.  This extends the output summary of fetch to include "(good 
> > signature)" for valid tags and "(BAD SIGNATURE)" for invalid tags.  If 
> > the user does not have the correct key in the gpg keyring, gpg returns 
> > 2, verify_tag_sha1 returns -2 and nothing additional is output about the 
> > tag's validity.
> 
> This must be turned off by default, IMO.  You cannot expect each and every 
> developer to have gpg _and_ all those public keys installed.

Adding a configuration variable to control this makes sense, and is on
my TODO list for v2 (core.autoVerifyTags?).  However, I don't see a
compelling reason to make it off by default, as if gpg isn't found, or a
particular public key isn't in the keyring, the output is no different
from what fetch prints now.

Deskin Miller