Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] gitweb: add patch view

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:10:26 +0100

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 14:41, Giuseppe Bilotta
> <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Trying to use 'commitdiff_plain' output as input to git am results in
> > some annoying results such as doubled subject lines. We thus offer a new
> > 'patch' view that exposes format-patch output directly. This makes it
> > easier to offer patches by linking to gitweb repositories.
> 
> If this does what I think it does I would be very happy with this
> feature :). Only yesterday I wanted to link someone to a patch I put
> up on repo.or.cz, but instead ended up telling them to download the
> snapshot.

True. 'commitdiff_plain' wasn't good enough; what's more it suffers
from the same ambiguity as 'commitdiff', i.e. it is both means to
show diff _for_ a commit (perhaps selecting one of parents), and
showing diff _between_ two commits; the new 'patch' always shows
diff for a commit, or for a series of commits.

>
> As an additional feature request; would it be possible to have a view
> that exposes a patch that is directly applyable by the patch command?

Both new 'patch' ('patchset') and old 'blobdiff_plain' should be
directly applicable by patch and by git-apply.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland