Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: fixes to gitweb feature check code

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:53:06 +0100

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> The gitweb_check_feature routine was being used for two different
> purposes: retrieving the actual feature value (such as the list of
> snapshot formats or the list of additional actions), and checking if a
> feature was enabled.
> 
> This led to subtle bugs in feature checking code: gitweb_check_feature
> would return (0) for disabled features, so its use in scalar context
> would return true instead of false.
> 
> To fix this issue and future-proof the code, we split feature value
> retrieval into its own gitweb_get_feature()function , and ensure that

  retrieval into its own gitweb_get_feature() function, and ensure that

> the boolean feature check function gitweb_check_feature() always returns
> a scalar (precisely, the first/only item in the feature value list).
> 
> Usage of gitweb_check_feature() across gitweb is replaced with
> gitweb_get_feature() where appropriate, and list evaluation of
> gitweb_check_feature() is demoted to scalar evaluation to prevent
> ambiguity. The few previously incorrect uses of gitweb_check_feature()
> in scalar context are left untouched because they are now correct.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Giuseppe Bilotta <[email-masked]>

Acked-by: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>

What I like about having all this, i.e. fix, futureproof and style
correction in one single patch is the fact that fix doesn't introduce
strange looking (gitweb_check_feature('bool_feat'))[0]... well, except
encapsulated in a subroutine.

>>From all possible splits of this feature into series of up to three
patches I think I like the one with pure subroutine rename from *check*
to *get* least...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland