Subject: Re: Grafting mis-aligned trees.

From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:28:06 -0600

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> 
wrote about 'Re: Grafting mis-aligned trees.':
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. venit, vidit, dixit 02.12.2008 18:19:
>> I can't help thinking that rebase -ip might have helped.  I wasn't
>> aware of -p when I was initially working on this problem.  (It doesn't
>> help that I generally use Debian stable, and git 1.4 did not have -p.)
>
>rebase rebases one branch at a time, but you need to rebase/rewrite
>several, and the merge info between depends on rewritten sha1s.

Yes.  I guess that's why I employed filter-branch to begin with.

>> I probably don't need the -f.  If there are files that should be
>> ignored (and thus shouldn't be in the repo), I'll filter-branch to cut
>> them out of the history at some point.
>
>'-f' is about not having to clean out refs/original from a previous
>filter-branch run.

Okay, I misread your command line.  For some reason I thought "-f" was an 
option to add.

>> What *exactly* is the subtree merge.  The documentation I've read
>> sounds like this case, sort of, but it's rather unclear to me.
>
>I think 'subtree' does what you want, but 'merge' doesn't!

*giggle*  I'm not quite sure what makes this funny to me, but it made me 
laugh.

>'subtree' 
>saves you the rewriting (putting TI into project/web), but you want a
>one-time conversion anyway. 'subtree' allows you to repeatedly merge
>branches with a different root. What it does is it looks for subdir,
>'rewrites' the incoming tree automatically and merges the result.
> 
>But you don't want a merge, do you? Or else your whole TI history would
>be tacked onto FT's head "to the left": a new (subtree) merge commit
>would have FT's and TI's head as parents. This is one way of storing TI
>history in the full repo, but not the one you said you wanted.

You are right; that's not what I want.  But, it is a good second-place 
result that I'll keep in mind.  Sometimes keeping the history at all is 
more important that keeping the history orderly.

Again, thanks for the help.
-- 
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =. 
[email-masked]                      ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy           `-'(. .)`-' 
http://iguanasuicide.org/                      \_/