Subject: Re: [RFCv2 1/2] gitweb: add patch view

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:08:01 +0100

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 14:14, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Perhaps this configuration should also be a feature defined in %feature,
>>>> overridable by each repository?  If you default it to "disabled" (as any
>>>> new feature typically does), you do not have to yank a random number such
>>>> as 100 out of thin air.
>>>
>>> I thought about it, but then I thought it was way too useful for
>>> single patches to disable the feature a priori. I'd rather make the
>>> default limit much smaller (like the original 16 commits I had in
>>> mind, or even less).
>>
>> Perhaps %feature can be used to configure _maximum_ number of patches
>> in 'patch' / 'format_patch' view (gitweb_get_feature... well, sort of
>> as gitweb_check_feature would work too), rather than checking if it
>> is enabled or disabled?
> 
> The way it's implemented in v2, you just need to set $patch_max in
> your local or system config file (e.g. /etc/gitweb.conf). I'm not sure
> about the benefit we would gain in going through %feature.

Ah, I haven't read patch in detail yet.

The (doubtful or not) benefit of going through %feature would be ability
to set limits (with perhaps -1 / <0 / undef / '' meaning: unlimited) on
per repository basis, with no limit for small repository, some limit for
the rest, and no 'patch' view or heavily limited for repository with
large size commits.

Just my 2 cents.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland