Subject: Re: Git Books

From: Deskin Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:48:10 -0500

On 2008.12.06 03:58:28 -0800, Scott Chacon wrote:
> So, since I'm near the beginning of this process, I was wondering if
> the group had any feedback as to what might be super helpful to
> include.  I mean, I have a pretty good layout and all, but if you
> wanted to point me to some threads that tend to crop up in the mailing
> list and IRC channel from relative newcomers that I might be able to
> nip in the bud, I would like to.  I'm addressing the stuff that _I_
> hear a lot, and I'm scanning the IRC logs and list for topics, but I
> figured many of you must answer the same questions all the time, too.

I agree with pretty much all of the other suggestions made thus far.
One I'd vote for is to explain why pushing to a non-bare repository
doesn't magically update the working tree as well; I'd say it's easily
one of the most repeated questions on #git.

I also vote for addressing workflows heavily.  Also, I think a reference
section akin to Tv's 'Git for Computer Scientists' page[1] would be
handy; I find understanding how git represents the project to inform
almost every interesting question about how to accomplish one's goals in
a particular situation.

Deskin Miller

[1] http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/