Subject: Re: fatal output from git-show really wants a terminal

From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:24:06 -0600

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 13:46:50 you wrote:
>On Mittwoch, 10. Dezember 2008, Tim Olsen wrote:
>> It appears that when outputting a fatal error, git-show will choose
>> stdout over stderr if stdout is a terminal and stderr is not.
>
>This is by design.

Then it is poor design. :P j/k

Why not use the pager only if git-show is "interactive", using the same test 
for interactivity as SUSv3/POSIX shells use?  IIRC, a shell is interactive if 
both stdin and stderr are terminals.  That test for interactivity -- a 
associated difference in behavior -- predates git by a number of years.  Is 
there a reason for being different?  Is the porcelain consistent about that 
behavior?
-- 
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =. 
[email-masked]                      ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy           `-'(. .)`-' 
http://iguanasuicide.org/                      \_/