Subject: Re: Saving patches from this list

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:14:19 -0800

Mike Ralphson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 2008/12/12 Stefan Näwe <[email-masked]>
> > > Stefan Näwe schrieb:
> > > > What's the best way to get patches sent to this list in a form suitable
> > > > for 'git am' without subscribing to this list ?

If you find the article on the web with gmane, add '/raw' onto the
end of direct link URL.  E.g. to get:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/102874

use:

  curl http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/102874/raw | git am 
 
> Junio's blog[1] shows he's looking at patchwork. Personally I think it
> would be fantastic to have a public patchwork server available. It
> might avoid the chicken and egg problem in that it's currently easier
> (for some people) to get hold of a patch to play with / review only
> after it's accepted.

One of the things I want to do with Gerrit 2 is teach it to read a
mailing list and convert patches it receives into temporary branches
that can be fetched over git://, and also create records in its web
database so reviews can be done on the web interface, then let it
CC the list back with a proper In-Reply-To when comments are posted
on the web to a change it received by email.

IOW, I want to make Gerrit 2 useful to the git community to monitor
patch state without changing our current email based workflow.
But I'm still a good two or three months from being able to do that.
Android's workflow is higher priority to me right now.

-- 
Shawn.