Subject: Re: New script to convert p4 repositories to git - git-p4c version 1.

From: Pete Wyckoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:04:19 -0500

[email-masked] wrote on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:52 +1100:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 14:30 -0500, Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> Modifying the on_branch code is the right place to do what you want,
> however I was hoping that specifying your 'interesting' branches by
> regexp would be sufficient?  All those places that do not get matched
> are effectively ignored and do not become part of the git repo.
[..]
> Do you need to use a client spec here, or is it possible to just use
> regexps?  I'd like to try and avoid the need to parse the clientspec,
> that's all.

There is code to parse the client spec in git-p4, and I did hack it
to put the various depot contents in the git tree according to where
the spec says they go.  Not a big hassle, and will do the same for
git-p4c if needed.  (Not clean enough or tested with non-client-spec
configs to submit upstream for git-p4 though.)

> The script does try to import the full history, however it starts that
> history only at the most recent change, which is defined as a tag.
> 
> Thus, if your main branch is 'trunk', then you should be able to
> manually import your changes, tag it as 'trunk/102388', to indicate
> that's p4's revision 102388 of trunk, and the script should then begin
> checking out changeset 102389.  I haven't had a chance to test that
> theory yet, but it should work.

Okay, this is interesting.  Would like to pursue that approach.
Except for the "manually import" part.  Maybe bits of git-p4's
full-checkout model could be borrowed here?  Anyway, will take a
look when you're ready.

		-- Pete