Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui: Get rid of the last remnants of GIT_CONFIG_LOCAL

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:53:09 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> In dc871831(Only use GIT_CONFIG in "git config", not other programs),
> GIT_CONFIG_LOCAL was rested in peace, in favor of not reading
> /etc/gitconfig and $HOME/.gitconfig at all when GIT_CONFIG is set.
> 
> 	You might want to hold off on that, as git-gui is supposed to be 
> 	less tightly coupled to git.git than, say, git-svn.
> 
> 	The commit removing support for GIT_CONFIG_LOCAL is from Mon Jun 
> 	30 03:37:47 2008 -0400...

Nah, that's in Git 1.6.0.  This block of code is only useful on
Windows, where most people are probably running a more msysgit
style system than some random mashup of Git and git-gui versions.

Plus, wasn't there just some discussion about how this warning
is perhaps harmful to the user because it doesn't really help
her to resolve the problem?

I applied it anyway.  Its quite unlikely anyone runs git-gui on
Windows with GIT_CONFIG_LOCAL in their environment.

-- 
Shawn.