Subject: Re: [PATCHv5 2/3] gitweb: add patches view

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:28:10 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:

>>> [...] wouldn't it make more sense to also do this?
>>>
>>>       git_commitdiff(--format => 'patch', --single => 1);
>>>       git_commitdiff(--format => 'html');
>>
>> The first argument (format) is _required_, second is _optional_;
>> I'd rather use named parameters trick only for optional parameters.
>> Because with more than one optional parameter function call begins
>> to be cryptic; also flag (boolean) parameters are more readable
>> when used as named parameters.
> 
> I have mixed feelings about this: on the one hand we have href() (say)
> that takes all its params from a has, but on the other hand we have
> esc_html() (say) that takes only additional options from a hash. [...]

It is not "on one hand".  href() is a bit special case. It has _all_
parameters optional, especially now that -replay=>1 was introduced.
It has no required parameters. Therefore all parameters are named.

Beside, href() mimics a bit CGI interface...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland