Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add a commit.signoff configuration variable to always use --signoff.

From: Adeodato Simó <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:26:20 +0100

* Junio C Hamano [Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:36:38 -0800]:

> Adeodato Simó <[email-masked]> writes:

> > ... I'd
> > still like to hear if my patch would be suitable for inclusion, because
> > it's much more straightforward to use (and to discover).

> But "straightforward to discover" is not an advantage in this case.

> As long as it comes with documentation that clearly explains why this
> feature should not be used blindly in order to avoid diluting the value of
> S-o-b, I think the feature itself is not a harmful thing to have.  Dscho's
> argument in the quoted thread that says it should be a conscious act to
> add S-o-b (except for the part he misunderstands what S-o-b attests), is a
> good one and still is valid.

Does this sound good? If so, I'll send an amended patch (or should I send an
incremental/extra one instead?):

+commit.signoff::
+       If set, 'git-commit' will always add a Signed-off-by line.
+       Please use this option with care: by enabling it, you're stating
+       that all your commits will invariably meet the S-o-b
+       requirements for any project you send patches to. It's probably
+       best to only use it from your private repositories' .git/config
+       file, and only for projects who require a S-o-b as proof of
+       provenance of the patch, and not of its correctness or quality.

> By the way, please do not deflect away responses meant to you by using a
> Mail-Followup-To header that points at the git mailing list.  It is rude.

I set a M-F-T header because I prefer not to be CC'ed. I have other
mechanisms in place that prevent me from missing replies to my messages
(based on In-Reply-To/References headers).

Nevertheless, if the list normally operates CC-based, I can see how pressing
Reply-to-all and not seing the original autor in the recipient list can be
offputting, so I'll stop setting M-F-T in my messages to git@. (Hopefully
starting with this message already.)

I didn't mean for it to be rude in any way.

Thanks,

-- 
Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org
 
A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do nothing
but together can decide that nothing can be done.
                -- Fred Allen