Subject: Re: [PATCH v10] setup: improve error diagnosis for invalid .git files

From: Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 15:00:49 +0800

Hi Karthik,

Thank you so much for the detailed review.

> Where is the 'uninitialized variable hazard'?

Hummm...seems that 'die_on_error ? NULL : &error_code' would just 
immediately 'die()' internally if NULL was passed. So there was no 
*real* hazard of uninitialized error_code being evaluated externally. 
Anyway, this change hardly qualifies as a major focus, and I will remove 
it from the commit message.

> I couldn't find a discussion, why did we merge the commits?

It was suggested by Junio, ensuring that every commit in the history 
remains strictly atomic and bisectable.

> Not your fault, but some of the errors quote the path and some don't, it
> would be nice to be uniform here.
> Nit: should we also cleanup? with a 'test_when_finished "rm -rf
> parent/link-to-dir"'.
> Should apply for all the tests.

Great catch. Will change in v11.

> The rest looks good. Thanks!

Thank you again for the guidance ;)

Regards,

yuchen