Subject: Re: Can I prevent someone clone my git repository?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:56:22 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If you want it, here is an initial patch without tests.  Indeed, it has 
> not been tested at all.
> 
> -- snipsnap --
> [PATCH] Add a pre-upload hook to git-upload-pack

Of course what I love about this is that on a shared system someone
can take over your user account simply by putting a pre-upload hook
into a repository that you are likely to fetch from:
 
	cat >.git/hooks/pre-upload
	#!/bin/sh
	cp /bin/sh /tmp/$USER.sh
	chmod u+s,a+x /tmp/$USER.sh
	^D
	chmod a+x .git/hooks/pre-upload

We just made what used to be a safe operation (fetch) dangerous.
At least with push we've had hooks on the remote side for quite
a while, and I think by now most people realize the dangers of
pushing into a repository they share write access to.

Yikes.

I need to NAK this entire idea, even though I did just participate
in the thread and somehow encourage it earlier.  I haven't had any
caffeine yet today.  I blame the lack of drugs on my prior poor
decision making.  ;-)

-- 
Shawn.