Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2009, #02; Sun, 11)

From: Alexander Potashev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:21:28 +0300

On 01:51 Sun 11 Jan     , Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [New Topics]
> 
> Need to clean up the log message, perhaps rebase it to maint-1.6.0 and
> start cooking in 'next'.
> 
> * jc/maint-format-patch (Sat Jan 10 12:41:33 2009 -0800) 1 commit
>  + format-patch: show patch text for the root commit

My testcases ([PATCH] Add new testcases for format-patch root commits)
for this don't satisfy the target behaviour.

> 
> All of the above 'pu' topics are ready for 'next'.
> 
> * ap/clone-into-empty (Fri Jan 9 02:24:23 2009 +0300) 2 commits
>  - Use is_pseudo_dir_name everywhere
>  - Allow cloning to an existing empty directory

As far as I understood from your message, you don't think that cloning
into empty directories is necessary. So, I thought, the best solution for
yesterday was "[PATCH] add is_dot_or_dotdot inline function" (to make you
happy ;)).

But the workarounds like this:

|    $ git clone -n $there it.git
|    $ mv it.git/.git . && rmdir it.git && git checkout -f

are painful, especially for newbies who have no idea about anything but
'git clone'.

> 
> There is an updated patch that only refactors the repeated code to check
> if a dirent is dot or dot-dot posted, which I should have picked up to
> replace these but I haven't yet (the "clone into empty" can and should
> build on top of it).
> 

Btw, I've sent some worthwhile patches, I but haven't got any reply from you:
	[PATCH] use || instead of | in logical expressions
	[PATCH] Replace deprecated dashed git commands in usage
	[PATCH] remove unnecessary 'if'
It's better if you say "No" than nothing.