Subject: Re: [PATCH] Simplest update to bash completions to prevent unbounded variable errors

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:20:47 -0800

Ted Pavlic <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Another try at fixing bash completions in "set -u" environments.

I agree with Junio; setting -u in your interactive shell is as bad
as export CDPATH.  Its crazy.

> Additionally added some comments and omitted things like Vim modelines.

These are orthogonal to the -u corrections.  They should be in a
different patch.  The comments are wecome.  The '#!bash' looks like
a good idea.  But a vim specific modeline, I don't like, for the
reasons Junio has already stated.

> +# __gitdir accepts 0 or 1 arguments (i.e., location)
> +# returns location of .git repo
>  __gitdir ()
>  {
> -	if [ -z "$1" ]; then
> +	if [ $# -eq 0 ] || [ -z "$1" ]; then

This is one of those places where [ -z "${1-}" ] is likely easier
to read then the || usage you have introduced.  We don't care if
we got no args, or we got one that is the empty string, either way
the $1 cannot be a gitdir and we need to guess it.

> @@ -111,7 +116,7 @@ __git_ps1 ()
>  			fi
>  		fi
>
> -		if [ -n "$1" ]; then
> +		if [ $# -gt 0 ] && [ -n "$1" ]; then
>  			printf "$1" "${b##refs/heads/}$r"

Eh, I'd rather see [ -n "${1-}" ] over the && test.

> -complete -o default -o nospace -F _git git
> -complete -o default -o nospace -F _gitk gitk
> +complete -o bashdefault -o default -o nospace -F _git git 2>/dev/null \
> +	|| complete -o default -o nospace -F _git git
> +complete -o bashdefault -o default -o nospace -F _gitk gitk 2>/dev/null \
> +	|| complete -o default -o nospace -F _gitk gitk

Why are we switching to bashdefault?  Is this an unrelated change
from the -u stuff and should go into its own commit, with its own
justification?

-- 
Shawn.