Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] tig-0.13

From: Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:06:59 +0100

bill lam <[email-masked]> wrote Thu, Jan 15, 2009:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> > Yes, it works. You can either create a file called config.make with a
> > line saying:
> > 
> > 	LDLIBS = -lncursesw
> > 
> > or use the configure file. If you are not using the tarball generate it
> > with:
> > 
> > 	make configure
> 
> I use the git source. Even after make configure and  ./configure, it
> still links to the non-unicode ncurses.

I haven't tested the configure script on a lot of system, so it might be
a bit debian/ubuntu/gentoo centered in that use of ncursesw requires the
presence of a {/usr/incude/}ncursesw/ncurses.h header. Where are the
unicode ncurses.h files found on your system?

> Should it make ncursesw as 
> default if detected available albeit this can be changed manually?

I would prefer that the "default" (running make without configure) has
as few dependencies as possible. Since the unicode version of ncurses is
probably more rare than the non-unicode version it is probably a bad
idea to use ncursesw by default. However, if you use the configure
script ncursesw is the default, when it is available.

-- 
Jonas Fonseca