Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] Make the rebase edit mode really end up in an edit state

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:59:12 +0100

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:20:08PM +0100, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 23:09, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I agree that is a true disadvantage that shows "reset --soft HEAD^" is a
> > bad idea (you could still say commit -c @{1}, though).
> 
> But it's not:
> "It also makes sure that a pre-filled editor is fired up when doing
> "git rebase --continue", in case the user just wanted to fix the
> commit message."

Indeed, but in this case the rebase process will continue after
finishing the commit message.  OTOH, with the current behaviour, you
must do a 'git commit --amend && git rebase --continue', which might
seem more complicated at first sight, but...

But the current behaviour of the 'edit' rebase command gives you the
possibility of adding further commits on top of the selected one
(after you have edited that or left intact, doesn't matter).  To do
that with this automatic 'reset --soft HEAD^' modification you would
first need to 'git commit -c @{1}' to keep the selected commit before
going on with adding further commits, which is not quite nice.

Regards,
Gábor