Subject: Re: [PATCH] mergetool merge/skip/abort

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:22:58 +0000

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:17:39AM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> >  Also, I think you've lost some tabs. Mergetool does have some
> >  inconsistent tabbing but they way I've been aiming towards (which
> >  matches most, but not all of git-mergetool.sh) is to use tabs == 8
> >  spaces for indents but to indent each level by 4 spaces. e.g. three
> >  levels of indent is one tab plus four spaces.
> 
> mixing tabs and spaces == bad, I just realized I can't see half your
> indents because I had tabstop=4 in my vimrc because I like indents at
> 4 spaces which is what you are doing through emulation. this is why I
> generally just use tabs or spaces. files like fstab and .sql are my
> few exceptions, both of which I do more on columns than indents.

There are two conventions at work in git-mergetool.sh but the most
prevalent one (it was like that when I got here!) can be easily
maintained in vim with:

:set tabstop=8
:set softtabstop=4
:set shiftwidth=4

You'll never (well, almost never) know that tabs aren't 4 spaces.

-- 
Charles Bailey
http://ccgi.hashpling.plus.com/blog/