Subject: Re: question re dcommit problem

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:43:54 +0100

Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
> David Mann [Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 07:14:08PM -0500]:
> > I created a git repository from my svn repository, later uploaded it to
> > GitHub, and after some branching and merging, can no longer dcommit back
> > to the svn repository. [...]
> 
> Iirc git svn does not support merges. You've to use git rebase or
> update through the svn server.

It does support them on the git side.  To SVN, the merge should look
like the squashed result (along the first-parent line).  On your local
git end, it should rebase the merge (to allow for git-svn-id) but
preserve parents, thus keeping history.

However, it is very important that the SVN line of history is always
reachable along the first-parent line.  David, did you ensure that?

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch