Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] bash: offer to show (un)staged changes

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:11:21 -0800

Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Add a bit of code to __git_ps1 that lets it append '*' to the branch
> name if there are any unstaged changes, and '+' if there are any
> staged changes.
> 
> Since this is a rather expensive operation and will force a lot of
> data into the cache whenever you first enter a repository, you have to
> enable it manually by setting GIT_PS1_SHOWDIRTYSTATE to a nonempty
> value.  The configuration variable bash.showDirtyState can then be
> used to disable it again for some repositories.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>

Acked-by: Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]>

> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > But I'm a bit worried about the config --bool test in the prompt.
> > Its a new fork+exec we weren't doing before.  I wonder if we should
> > use a shell variable to consider whether or not this should even
> > be executed and try to shortcut out if not.
> 
> Ok, why not.  I changed the default of bash.showDirtyState to true
> since the user already opts in via GIT_PS1_SHOWDIRTYSTATE.

Yea, that seems right.

-- 
Shawn.