Subject: Re: Comments on "Understanding Version Control" by Eric S. Raymond

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 04:34:15 -0500

Miles Bader <[email-masked]>:
> Theodore Tso <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I suspect Eric will disagree with me, but regardless of how he
> > completes his paper, it will almost certainly end up taking sides one
> > way or another on this controversy, at which point one side or the
> > other of this particular disagreement will argue that Eric is really
> > writing an advocacy paper pushing Bzr, Mercurial, or Git (depending on
> > how he comes out on this issue).
> 
> That was pretty clear from his comments on the emacs-devel mailing list
> (2008-05 roughly).
> 
> He spent a lot of time trying to sound impartial (and that he was "still
> doing research"), but strongly gave the impression that he had already
> made up his mind.

At the time, I leaned slightly towards Mercurial, but my reasons had
nothing to do with the cluster of issues Ted is pointing at; rather, I
liked hg for its interface simplicity.

I remain agnostic about the deep issues around renaming and user
intentions - in part because I'm by no means sure I completely
understand them yet.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>