Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 0/6] gitweb: feed metadata enhancements

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 23:42:56 +0100

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> This second revision adds two patches to improve client-side rss
> caching: the last-modified header we output is based on commit rather
> than creation time, and we now act on if-modified-since request headers.
> 
> The last patch requires either HTTP::Date (from libwww-perl) or
> Time::ParseDate

Below there is summary of my comments.
 
> Giuseppe Bilotta (6):
>   gitweb: channel image in rss feed

O.K. esc_url is perhaps unnecessary, but safe

>   gitweb: feed generator metadata

Better to use the same convention for version info as in meta.generator
in HTML header.  Use '"' for attribute values.

>   gitweb: rss feed managingEditor

Need to esc_html (well, esc_xml ;-) $owner, because it might be set to
"O Wner <[email-masked]>".

>   gitweb: rss channel date

O.K. (with question if it would be better to quote relevant fragment
of RSS 2.0 standard with respect to meaning of those date elements).

>   gitweb: last-modified time should be commiter, not author

O.K. perhaps with clarification that it affects not only Last-Modified,
but also just introduced (and used earlier) "publish" dates for feed.

>   gitweb: check if-modified-since for feeds

O.K., with proposed addition to commit message.

> 
>  gitweb/gitweb.perl |   40 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
>  1 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> 
> 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland