Subject: Re: receive.denyCurrentBranch

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 00:06:59 -0500

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:47:26PM -0500, Jay Soffian wrote:
> I agree that a detached HEAD is a bad idea. The closest parallel that
> I can come up with for git would be for receive-pack to store incoming
> changes into separate branch hierarchy, NOT for it to detach HEAD. A
> toy-patch I played around with earlier allowed this on the non-bare
> upstream repo:
> 
> [receive]
>      prefix = refs/remotes/incoming
> 
> Then a push to refs/heads/master was automatically stored as
> refs/remotes/incoming/master instead.

What happens when the next person pushes to the same remote repo, and
their refs/heads/master push is not a fast-forward merge of the
current refs/remotes/incoming/master?

Do you lose the first user's push at that point?  Or do you refuse the
push?

						- Ted