Subject: Re: [RFC/RFH] Fun things with git-notes, or: patch tracking backwards

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:19:07 +0100

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 03:08:08PM +0100, Thomas Rast wrote:
> And the RFH: I don't have a full mail archive, not even since I joined
> the list.  There also doesn't seem to be a convenient download button
> on gmane.

you can download emails in mbox format from gmane by running

  wget http://download.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/X/Y

which will download all emails starting at the email with "gmane id" X
and ending at the email with "gmane id" Y-1.

So, if you want to download the whole archive, you could run

  wget http://download.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/1/109090

(but of course that 109090 will be larger by the time you will reading
this).  However, there's a catch, as gmane's script execution time is
limited to 30 sec, so you will not get the whole archive, but only the
first couple of thousands emails (in my case and network I got around
6k emails in one run).  Therefore you'll need some loop to download
only a few thousand emails in each iteration.

Best,
Gábor