Subject: pushing from a shallow repo allowed?

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:02:54 -0500

git-clone(1):
	A shallow repository has a number of
        limitations (you cannot clone or fetch from it, nor push from nor
        into it)

This and other documentation (shallow.txt, RelNotes-1.5.0.txt) says you
can't push from a shallow repo. But in a simple test of making a commit
to a shallow repo and pushing it out, it seems to work. AFAICS, git only
guards against pushes *into* a shallow repo, and fetching/cloning from a
shallow repository.

Are the docs out of date, or is there really still some problem
with pushing from a shallow repo?

BTW, --depth seems to be ignored when making a local clone.
This seems to have been fixed in the old shell git-clone in
d4110a9726c7cd5cda35b7dd03dc8f85fe3dff0c, was it accidentially lost
in the C version?

joey@gnu:~/src/other> git clone --depth 2 git git.shallow
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/joey/src/other/git.shallow/.git/
joey@gnu:~/src/other> cd git.shallow 
joey@gnu:~/src/other/git.shallow> git-log --pretty=oneline|wc -l
17009

git version 1.5.6.5

-- 
see shy jo