Subject: Re: Possible git bug when using filter-branch to remove large binaries

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:55:01 +0100

Juan Zanos wrote:
> I'm trying to remove a directory of large binaries from a git  
> repository
[...]
> The directory successfully  
> vanishes. However, the repository + working directory only goes from  
> 216M down to 133M.   That means the binaries were only removed from  
> the working directory.

We're in fact trying to make a generic recipe and put it in 'man
git-filter-branch'.  The preliminary patch is here:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/109925/

Once you convince your eyes to ignore the leading +, it should be
fairly easy to read in patch form. ;-)

It would be very helpful if you could try the recipe, and report if it
worked.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch