Subject: Re: [PATCH] test suite: correct export var=val usage

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:05:36 +0100

Wincent Colaiuta wrote:
> I'm definitely blind then, or perhaps I didn't explain myself. At  
> least, I saw nothing in the message you linked that answers my  
> question. Let me try again.
> 
> - Prior to your patch, in the two hunks I quoted we set MSG to an  
> empty string and exported it
> 
> - After your patch, the hunks now set MSG to "1" (not the same string)  
> and export it
> 
> In other words, you not only changed the _style_ from "assign and  
> export in a single step" to "assign and then export as two separate  
> steps"; you also changed _what_ gets exported in two of those hunks.

Actually the original version was

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/109920

which was subsequently fixed by Junio to not use a single-shot export.
Then Brandon noticed that during the fix-up, the export line suddenly
started exporting values itself, and different ones at that.

So while Jay's patch indeed changes the semantics, the net result is
what was intended all along, except it's now (hopefully) compatible
with more shells.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch