Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] git-gui: properly check for a bare repo

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:53:12 -0800

Giuseppe Bilotta <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't work as you expect.  Its a chicken-and-egg problem.
> > We haven't read the config yet because we aren't sure that the
> > $_gitdir really is a git directory.  Consequently, core.bare is
> > always false.
> 
> Isn't the config loaded on line 1053?

No, that line is only run if there is no git repository here and
we are opening the repository selection wizard.  The load_config
is to pull in the user's ~/.gitconfig.
 
> Better ways to work around the issue?

Break down and run the fork command here.  We already ran two
git-rev-parse calls at 1049,1050.  One more here during startup
isn't going to kill the world.

The only problem is, you need to watch out for the git version.
AFAIK git-gui still runs on git 1.5.0.  Any option added since should
be used only if its known to exist, or if there is a fallback that
works almost as good.

Or, we need to up our minimum version around line 842, and in the
messages above in 756, 787, 789, 791, and their translations...

-- 
Shawn.