Subject: Re: [JGIT PATCH] 1/2 : (reworked) Externalizable/Serializable Items

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:27:45 -0800

Robin Rosenberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> onsdag 18 februari 2009 22:48:59 skrev "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>:
> > 
> > Non-Java reading a Java serialization stream?  Seriously?
> 
> No, that was my objection to using writeObject, as that make
> it a Java-only stream, but then it might not be worth doing
> it via the serialization mechanism.

IMHO, if we are talking about either java.io.Serializable or
java.io.Externalizable, there's no point in considering a non
Java peer.

If you want a non-Java format, we'd need to consider a much
more neutral encoding, like Google's protobuf, or *shudder*
XML/JSON, or cooking up our own format.

That wasn't this thread started with.  The original poster just
wanted an easy way to serialize some basic data types from JGit,
as part of some higher level stream being done in the container
application.  Since that higher level stream is a apparently a
Java object serialization stream, we just need to match that.

-- 
Shawn.