Subject: Re: git merge --abort

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:18:30 +0100

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Perhaps this is the case fo "feature that waits for a user", namely
> > 'git stash --no-reset', which would save a state just in case, perhaps
> > in a separate area and not refs/stash (ORIG_STASH perhaps?).
> 
> Isn't that Nana's "git stash --keep" patch posted a few weeks ago sitting
> in "pu"?

Almost exactly.

When using it as a safety measure (perhaps enabled via configuration
variable, similarly to core.safecrlf or diff.autoRefreshIndex) we would
probably want to not save it in 'refs/stash' stack, but in single-use
ORIG_STATE (similar to HEAD reflog vs. ORIG_HEAD). And of course have
"git merge --abort" (or even "git pull --abort") as a porcelain.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland