Subject: Re: VSS to git

From: Alexander Gavrilov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:55:31 +0300

On Monday 02 March 2009 20:51:12 Mike Ralphson wrote:
> 2009/3/2 Chris Velevitch <[email-masked]>:
> > I can't seem to find any utilities to convert a vss repository to git.
> > In the absence of such a tool, what is the best approach to converting
> > an vss repository to git?
> 
> You might be able to two-stage through vss2svn[1], and from there to git.
> Or take the guts of vss2* [2] and rewrite the backend to create git
> fast-import format?

Last year I experimented with conversion using vss2svn plus a heavily
patched version of git-svnimport, and it worked quite well. The largest
problem is that VSS cannot record directory copies, so the resulting
SVN repository does not have them either. This makes conversion tools
unable to detect any branching, so I had to implement support for
completely arbitrary mapping specs.

I also made an incremental synchronization script for simple actions
(requires logging to be enabled in VSS).

Alexander

P.S: I made some fixes to vss2svn too, they are in a separate branch:
  http://www.pumacode.org/projects/vss2svn/browser/branches/Alexander