Subject: Re: git-svn and repository hierarchy?

From: Florian Mickler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:33:40 +0100

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:10:26 +0100
Josef Wolf <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 02:48:14PM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, actually it allows the changes for a very limited user
> > > group (that is: only me 8-).  While I agree that author/date
> > > should not be changed, I like to be able to fix silly typos in
> > > the log.  After all, we all do typos now and then ;-)
> > 
> > True, but in my experience it happens considerably less often with
> > git. I find and fix most of my typos when reviewing my change-set
> > before doing a "git push" or "git svn dcommit".
> 
> So you are rewriting yourself but not accept rewrites by svn ;-)

the thing is: with git you don't ''rewrite history''. 
you create a completely new history. that is because the
sha1-descriptions includes the meta-data.

that means, even if you want, you can't change ''published'' history.
because the history is unique'ly identified by the topmost sha-1. 
if smth changes underneath the topmost sha-1 you have to rebase all
your other changes on the new sha-1 and thus altering them. 

that is why the dcommitt'ed&svn-rebased changes have different sha-1s
and all your clone's work needs to be rebased onto the newly altered
committs.

Sincerely,

Florian