Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] New config push.default to decide default behavior for push

From: Finn Arne Gangstad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:56:29 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:55:23PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> As some people still seem to object to the change of default (and that
> includes 20-30% of myself), we may end up deciding not to switch the
> default after all, but even in that case, applying the first half would
> benefit people who would want different behaviour.

I think the suggested new default is a lot safer then the current
one. A default of "nothing" will print a nice message if you end up
pushing nothing, which you will fix in a heartbeat with a single git
config command.

If you erroneously push one or more branches however, cleanup might
end up being very complicated. Many pushable repos are set up with
disallowing non-fast-forward pushes, so it may require intervention by
someone else to clean up, and by then someone else have already
fetched the bad push.

- Finn Arne