Subject: Re: Git no longer reads attributes from the index properly

From: [email-masked] (Brian Downing)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:40:31 -0500

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:27:31AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [email-masked] (Brian Downing) writes:
> > As of 34110cd4e394e3f92c01a4709689b384c34645d8, (2008-03-06, just over a
> > year ago), Git no longer reads attributes from the index properly in all
> > cases....
> 
> Perhaps you would want to try it on 06f33c1 (Read attributes from the
> index that is being checked out, 2009-03-13) that is part of 'pu'?

I only tried it on next, groan.  Yes, it works there, thanks.

However, that commit looks like it's solving a different problem
entirely (supporting changing between two branches where .gitattributes
exists in both cases) and happens to fix the no .gitattributes -> read
from index regression at the same time.  I don't know enough about the
guts to tell, but does this also fix the core problem of the regression
(I assume something about trying to read from the wrong index, given the
commit that broke it), or does it just happen to work around it?

Specifically, it would be nice to have a fix for the regression that
could land on maint relatively soon, as the initial checkout case is
breaking a real repository I use, whereas the switching branches case is
something I don't care about as much at the moment.

Of course, I don't know how to fix it at the moment, and beggars can't
be choosers.  :)

-bcd