Subject: [PATCH 2/2] Re: git-gui: some French translation enhancements

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:14:26 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:34:54AM -0400, Alexandre Bourget wrote:                                                                                                           
>
> Le vendredi 20 mars 2009 à 08:13 +0100, Mike Hommey a écrit :
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:54:02AM +0100, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> > IMHO, we should find a better way to say that than to use the "index"
> > word at all. This obviously applies to all uses of "index" in french
> > where we avoided it in english.
> >
> > OTOH, the best I can find for "staging area" is "zone de préparation",
> > and that doesn't help finding a word for stage and unstage.
>
> "zone de préparation" sounds good to me.

I'm not sure we are doing more good than bad. The "index" is a
technical's Git word which has its own sense in Git.

We could provide a pure "only french terms" translation but I'm not sure
it's the best way to work in software translation.

"Index" is a one of theses terms having a "special meaning in place".
It stands in English for "staging area" and could have the same meaning
in french mainly because we don't have a good french word to that
special use case.

"Index" as-is in the french po is NOT a non-sense. Also, french people
newbie in Git would easily find help for the index (most websites are in
english).

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht