Subject: Re: Disallow amending published commits?

From: Nicolas Sebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:15:08 +0100

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:09:43PM -0700, James Pickens wrote:

> I think you understood the question perfectly, and your comments all make
> sense.  Perhaps I'm just being paranoid and this won't be a problem at all.

I guess it's most depending of your proposed general workflow. So, it
makes sense.

> A bit of background might help explain my paranoia: I'm about to pilot Git
> on a fairly large project, where none of the users have Git experience, and
> many of them don't have much experience with any other version control
> system either.

As I understand, a part of your workflow is based on automatic testing
stages. It could be a good thing but I think you have to fit this into a
more general "human based worflow". I mean that parallel developments
should have one or more "official maintainers". Maintainers would have
to care of the history integrity, assume the responsability of passing
the tests, etc.

IMHO, good maintainers you can trust is much better than any "more
automatic restrictive testing suites".

Here is a link talking about that kind of issues that you (and your
maintainers) may be interested in:
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Git_Management

-- 
Nicolas Sebrecht