Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-filter-branch: avoid collisions with variables in eval'ed commands

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:24:03 +0100

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:13:01PM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
> 
> Avoid using simple variable names like 'i', since user commands are eval'ed
> and may clash with and overwrite our values.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

Almost-acked-by: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>

But:

>-i=0
>+git_filter_branch_count=0

Why branch_count? It counts commits, not branches, doesn't it?

> I discovered this a few months ago, but apparently never got around to
> sending it earlier.  Anyway, without this patch in a repository with a
> file called 'world' I see the following behavior:

Some hints:

> $ git filter-branch --tree-filter '
>    for i in $(find . -type f); do

This won't work right if your filenames contain $IFS.

>      if ( file $i | grep "\btext\b" > /dev/null ); then

if [[ "$(file $i)" == *text* ]] might run noticeably faster (though is
slightly less precise). Having a filename-keyed cache of file types even
more so.

>        perl -i -ple "s/\\\$(Id|Date|Source|Header|CVSHeader|Author|Revision):[^\
> \$]*\\$/\\$\1\\$/" $i;

Using '\'' instead of " could save you quite a few backslashes in net
count.

>      fi;
>    done ' -- --all

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty
in the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr