Subject: Use alternate GIT servers to share traffic

From: Thomas Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:45:29 +0100

Hi,

we host a public GIT repository on our high availability company
cluster. Cloning the repo causes a trafic volume of 326 MB. We'd like to
avoid that much trafic while still leaving the GIT repo where it is.

I could imagine the following conversation between the GIT client and
server:

Client: Wanna clone!
Server: You're welcome. Please note, that while I serve the most current
state, you can get objects much faster from my collegue Server
CHEAPHOST.
Client: Thank you. Will take all the objects I can get from CHEAPHOST
and come back if I should need anything else!

The enduser should not need to specify anything, but only the regular
git clone EXPENSIVEHOST line.

Your thoughts?

Best regards,
-- 
Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
YMC AG, http://www.ymc.ch