Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8 v2] sh-tools: add a run_merge_tool function

From: Markus Heidelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 00:11:09 +0200

James Pickens, 31.03.2009:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:11 AM, David Aguilar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > This function launches merge tools and will be used to refactor
> > git-(diff|merge)tool.
> 
> Thanks for writing difftool; I find it quite useful.  I tried it with
> tkdiff, and noticed that it shows the 'merge preview' window even though it
> isn't doing a merge.  If a user with unstaged changes were to carelessly
> click the 'save and exit' button, his changes could be lost.  So I think
> it's a good idea to stop the merge preview window from showing up under
> difftool.  To do that I think you just have to remove the '-o "$MERGED"'
> option to tkdiff.

This mail made me see an issue with your patch series. Sorry, I haven't
seen this earlier, my review was just scratching the surface, I merely
applied it and looked through it, but didn't actually test it. Lack of
time.

The invocations seem to be appropriate only for mergetool, it is just
the invocations from the old git-mergetool.sh, not from the old
git-difftool-helper.sh. This means, git-difftool opens 3 files instead
of 2.

I think there are preset diff tools, which opened 3 files instead of 2
before this series (I just tested kdiff3, it opened 3 files). Seems to
be originated from the fact, that they were initially copied from
git-mergetool.sh.

Markus