Subject: Re: How to merge in different order?

From: Josef Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:59:24 +0200

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:31:50PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:

[ ... ]
> But what you probably want to do is rewrite the history of your branch
> to re-order the commits.

Yeah, That's exactly what I need. But I guess there's a lot of work ahead:
about 2500 commits are waiting for the sort.

> You can do this with "git rebase -i".

Sounds good

> Like any
> history rewriting, this can cause difficulties for people who you have
> already shared the branch with (because it will replace the commits that
> they already have with 5 _new_ commits that just happen to do more or
> less the same thing).

This is a copy of a svn repository, created with git-svn. So the branch
is shared with other people.

> If you have already shared the branch, you may just want to cherry-pick
> the changes you want (using "git cherry-pick") onto your other branch.

Argh, I was looking for git-cherry, but that does something different ;-)

Thanks for the answer, Jeff!